POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Amapi is free : Re: Amapi is free Server Time
4 Aug 2024 20:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Amapi is free
From: Andreas Kreisig
Date: 18 Apr 2003 14:11:40
Message: <3ea03fdb@news.povray.org>
ABX wrote:

>> A view examples: with a lot of patience you can make something like a
>> car, but you're not able to make a Porsche 911 or a VW Golf or whatever.
>
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/19709/127888/MyCar.jpg
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/30145/214068/recar3dc5.jpg
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/22626/156738/susp.jpg
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/30945/220060/FORDTRCK.jpg
> http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/31112/221106/WALL.jpg

That's exactly what I mean: this images shows something like a car, but no
really car. When I write cars I mean something like this:

http://www.kk.iij4u.or.jp/~knight/images/gallery_image/enzo_re.jpg
http://www.ays-arts.de/gallery/lw7/mz6-01.jpg
http://www.simonreeves.co.uk/3d/rs6/rs6front.jpg

> As Ingo pointed out POV is just one of tools used to connect idea with
> result. That's why it is so common to hear something like: "The body is
> done in Rhino. The texture is done in POVray. The wheels are also done
> intirly in POVray." POV can be used in scenes in many ways: as modeller,
> as raytracer, as texturing tool, to create image_maps for other scenes.
> And as all in one.

Yes.

> You have to understand that everything what modeller do is just some
> interactive action to get input for algorithm performed over primitive
> objects and textures to make some complexity which looks soft, organic
> etc.

The difference is that a modeller like Maya or XSI don't need algorithms to
work with primitives. They just store the x|y|z coordinates. BTW: to work
with primitives (CSG) is somewhat outdated. Nowadays most artists use
boxmodelling, splinecages or something similar. Impossible or very hard to
do with POV-Rays SDL. To get smoothed results you have to use NURBS,
subdivision surfaces, Hypernurbs, weighted vertices or whatever. All this
needs a modeller when you want to get good results because you need the
optical feedback.

> And as such this action can be recreated in scripting language with
> necessary programing capabilities and set of 3D functions to create
> primitives. The difference is that in modeller everything is 'on-screen'
> in windows while in SDL everything is 'in-manual' and 'in-brain' ;-)

True but misleading. When I make something more complex in Wings3D (a great
tool!!) then I have to tweak and fine tune a lot. When you use an algorithm
based language you don't have enough controll to move one vertex by one.
And you don't want to tell me that you make an object by using a hand coded
mesh2?
Here is an example I made with Wings a view month ago:

http://www.render-zone.com/wip/rep_man_prev.jpg

This is not realistic of course but try something like this with SDL. I
needed 5 hours to build it in Wings - it was just a test to figure out how
Wings works.
Hey, I don't want to start a flame war here. POV-Ray is a great tool but the
SDL is limited by its concept not by the user. At least under practical
circumstances.

Regards,
Andreas

--